RE: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 13:43:38 EST

Ted Davis, in replying to Janice, wrote, in part: "Janice, if the
inference here is that smoking does not "cause" lung cancer, ie. smoking
does not significantly contribute to a person's chances for getting lung
cancer, then that inference is junk-science, whether it comes from the
left, right, or center of the political spectrum. We know experimentally
that components of tobacco smoke are carcinogens; we also
know statistically that smokers are far more likely to develop lung
cancer
(or throat cancer, or cancer of the jaw/mouth for that matter) than are
nonsmokers.

Interestingly, Janice, and perhaps you recall this (I don't know how old
you are), in the 1950s and 1960s it was conservative Protestants who
tended
to push this information--that is, they tended to be the ones pushing the
medical establishment to admit what the facts were indicating, to admit
that
smoking is a very significant factor in causing various cancers. I
recall
seeing a little book by a Christian physician, "None of These Diseases,"
which advanced this point of view and promoted a lifestyle of abstinence
from
alcohol and tobacco as a way of honoring the God-given "temples" that are
our bodies."

I remember that book well. It took a few liberties with some of the data,
but overall was well done and played a part in establishing my own
freedom from tobacco. Yes, once it was the conservatives that pushed the
issue. Now they seem to have other issues in view.

Janice -- contrary viewpoints can be found on the internet on almost
every subject. That does not make them either right or wrong, of course.
But it does tell us to take many of them with a grain (or three) of salt.

On another subject, Janice asked "Are you saying that you haven't been
able to discern "my views" from my posts up to now?"

Speaking just for myself, I will say just that. With only a slow dialup
connection here in the mountains, I seldom look up net links. Life is too
short. Email, OTOH, comes in asynchronously, so it does not waste my
time.

Burgy

www.burgy.50megs.com/ruse.htm (Review of Ruse's latest book)