Re: Genesis 1 on ocean and atmosphere

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 13:27:14 EST

I am sorry Peter if you find my language abrasive. I will defend what I say
as one cannot link Gen 1 to events in the earth's past and Concordism has
failed before. Remember it was one of the two dominant views from 1800 to
1860 along with the Gap Theory.

I agree with three of your descriptions but "retrodictive prophecy" is
unhelpful and means nothing.

raqia could be translated expanse but that does define what it means . The
use of raqia in the OT does not allow us to put a modern meaning on it.

Your quote from Tom Wright. He was speaking about NT times and is spot on.
What he said is not applicable to the OT. The OT cosmology is similar to all
ANE cosmogonies from 1500 to 500BC and I am not sure whether the cosmogony
could point to a date or a place of writing, but then we may well have the
final editing after centuries from the first draft. Possibly the numbers
used eg the 6 day structure may point to Babylon, but I am not competent to
judge.

We do best to see Gen 1 as a paean to God the creator and not try to make it
conformable to science.

Michael