Re: Believe it even if it isn't true theology

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 13:38:54 EST

On good Sam's historicity . Tom Wright "Simply Christian" p165 deals with this. He says " I have never met a reader " who thought the Prodigal Son actually happened , and then discusses the truth of parables.

The Mormon example is a straight historical question open to DNA. As is the historicity of Jesus, David and Moses.

Early Genesis gives so few hard details that we cannot draw much info out them, beyond saying some kind of aqueous event occurred. Even Gen 4 fits best about 10000years ago but we can say no more.. Gen 1-11 simply is not written in a way that we can check it historically. At best we may find maybes but that is not much help, and we are best not forcing the text only to be refuted later.

I focus most on the historicity of the NT and the OT after Abraham, where the evidence is sparse before David.

Michael