Re: Believe it even if it isn't true theology

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 22:03:56 EST

Glenn Morton wrote:

> ---
>
> George, you are not the only one who has used the Samaritan, many
> have. And maybe that story doesn't NEED to be historical, but,
> the statement /'in the beginning God created the heavens and the
> earth' /DOES NEED to be historical. If it isn't then it is the
> claim of a group of neolithic delusionals.

Glenn: You have not considered the possibility that it could be the
claim of a group of Hebrew theologians who have thought deeply about
this matter, and this is their way of expressing a profound truth

> How do we know if Jehovah was the one who created the world in
> light of the fact that thousands of other gods claim the same thing?

Genesis 1 is a statement that Jehovah is in charge and the other gods
are of no account. The truth of the statement in Genesis 1 can be
assessed independently in the light of the teaching and resurrection of
Jesus Christ.

> The only way I know is if the account has something real about it.
> Once again I don't know what is so difficult about that concept.
> It isn't like this is high school math or anything.

Glenn needs to recognize that the account can be about something real
without being real in the sense of the logical positivists. This should
not be difficult to grasp, regardless of how difficult one may have
found high school maths.

[Having mentioned high school maths, I digress in that direction. Are
the complex numbers real? I am not joking-- I have just been reading the
first few chapters in Roger Penrose's book, The Road to Reality
(Johnathon Cape, 2004). There is no simple yes/no answer to my question.
One first has to state precisely what one means by "real".]
Don