Re: Believe it even if it isn't true theology

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 19:25:58 EST

Just to be clear about this, in an earlier post Glenn asked:

">Why is your belief special? Adherents to other religions also believe they have a special form of belief. Please explain why
>your belief is special and theirs isn't. Please explain this and not something I didn't ask."

And my response was:

"Our belief is special only because of the real historical existence of Christ, his ministry, the miracles he performed, his crucifixion,
>and resurrection. If these things are not true, then we are to be pitied. That is how our scriptures are different than the green slug,
>zoraster, Mormanism, etc."

But then Glenn answsered his own questions:

">Why is your belief special? Adherents to other religions also believe they have a special form of belief. Please explain why
>your belief is special and theirs isn't. Please explain this and not something I didn't ask."

And said of them, thinking (incorrectly) they were from me:

"The asking of this question shows you don't even understand the issue. My belief is no more special than anyone else's. That is why I look for something objectively tangible to support the religious belief. What is so difficult about the concept that just because we beleive something to be true, doesn't make it true???? That is a 1st grade level piece of knowledge, yet here we have loads of people who basically are saying that belief in the Bible without any tangible/objective basis, makes it true, i.e. that it teaches TRUE THEOLOGY. What is the basis for that statement that it teaches true theology--it seems on this list to boil down to the belief that it does teach true theology and nothing more."