Re: Believe it even if it isn't true theology

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 10:46:47 EST

Bill Hamilton wrote:

> The Bible teaches that Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. It
> teaches
> that God wants to build relationships with humans. I believe that because I
> have experienced it. Without the testimony of the Holy Spirit, all the
> _facts_
> in the world are useless. Archaeologists have found the Bible to be an
> excellent guide to the ancient Middle East. That's great, but it would be
> filthy rags without the testimony of the Holy Spirit.

Aside from matters of apologetics, this seem like a key part of the
issue. We don't become Christians because of the facts, though facts are
important to a certain extent, we become Christians because God has
tried to reach us, and by Grace, we have somehow responded. Bertrand
Russell is purported to have said that "I will say that you [i.e. God] didn't

provide enough evidence" and frankly, if evidence was what we required,
there would be no reason to be Christians.

Having been converted as an adult, I really don't see any way I would have
ended up here intellectually myself except by the work of the Holy Spirit.
Certainly, I didn't believe in Christ because someone said "Believe it
even if it isn't true", I believed (and still believe) because I was
persuaded
by the work of the holy spirit. Moreover, I don't think there is any way to
escape this dilemma; indeed, I could still be wrong. So I reckon it is
finally
a choice, and, to me at least, the issue of whether Gen. 1-11 is 100%
factual,
100% allegorical, or somewhere in-between has never really been any major
concern to me.

There is another thing though. Creationists insist that they can use science
prove their point. To the observing eye, they seem only able to do so by
greatly
distorting science. On the other hand, interpreting a piece of scripture as
being
allegory may of course weaken its case, but it's not wrong and it doesn't
abuse
science. Religion comes down to a faith about life and purpose, something
that
science has little to offer in answering as far as I can tell. What offended
me most
about creationists was not so much what they believe (although I confess I
find it
strongly disagreeable), rather it was that they insisted that I must believe
it too.

I certainly sympathize with Glenn's criticism. It is hard to go before a mob
armed with pipes and chains and say, ".... well, you have to make a choice
folks, and choosing this way could even be wrong". What makes people who
act like they ___know___ the truth so much more alluring than the honest and
simple. Surely, no one really __knows__ the truth, and any man who claimed
he
does, is more like one who would claims he is without sin. Yes, I think it is
quite easy to ignore the gospel, but that really is the heart of what faith
is all
about: will it be God's wisdom, or the world's wisdom I chose to rely on. I
hope
it will be God's.

by Grace we proceed,
Wayne