Re: Believe it even if it isn't true theology

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 08:23:41 EST

Yes, I did try to answer all your questions but you seem unable to see that at times biblical language is poetic and full of metaphor and that it is in terms of its culture of 2 to 4000 years ago with its inaccurate and outdated cosmogony

As you didn't listen I gave up.

I suggest that instead of ploughing your own furrow you learn a little about biblical interpretation and the context of the Bible.

When itcomes to understanding Genesis 1-2 in its historical
and socioloical context, I also suggest reading these
Christian scholars:

***John Walton, prof. at Wheaton College, and author
of the NIV APPLICATION commentary on Genesis (an
interesting read concerning the primeval history
portions of Genesis), sent me this email: Dear xxx, One
URL that might be of interest to you is the audio of
my keynote address at Wheaton's Cosmology Conference
in 2003 where I presented my view of Genesis 1 to the
conference attendees. It can be accessed at:
www.wheaton.edu/physics/conferences03
I am doing a lot of work these days on ANE ontology
which supports very strongly the theory that I have
presented in the NIV APPLICATION COMMENTARY on GENESIS
that I wrote in 2002. The ontology of ancient Israel
construed in similar terms helps unpack Genesis 1
since, obviously, the understanding of what is
understood by bringing something into existence
depends considerably on how one defines existence. I
have contracted with Eisenbrauns to do a monograph on
Genesis 1 as Ancient Cosmology which will get much
more into the ontology side of the issue as well as
develop Genesis 1 in relationship to the Sumerian
concepts of ME and NAM (the control attributes of the
cosmos and the "destinies"). There are many
intriguing implications to this study. Best Wishes,
John [John H. Walton, Department of Biblical Studies,
Wheaton College and Graduate School]

***Conrad Hyers (retired chair of religion at Gustavus
Adolphus College), author of The Meaning of Creation,
and, the article, "Genesis Knows Nothing of Scientific
Creationism" [google it]

***Frederick Greenspahn's article, "Biblical Views of
Creation" [google it]

***R. Christopher Heard (Pepperdine University
Religion Prof.) on "Why I Am Not A Creationist"
http://www.heardworld.com/higgaion/2005/11/why-i-am-not-creationist.html

this I pinched from someone but you ought to read Heard.

Meanwhile there is nothing further to say

Michael