Re: Theism & MNS

From: Timothy Kennelly <timothykennelly@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 13:54:18 EST

Mr. Murphy,

  Your first statment that MNS does not "contradict the belief that God is active in the natural world precisely in and with physical interaction" is true if, and only if, the god in question is veiled by nature and its actions seem to be natural in every regard; that is, the actions are not miracles, but natural events. But to suggest that MNS allows for the possibility (as a potential working hypothesis) that a deity is healing persons of cancer or causing one animal to evolve in a certain way, say over hundreds of millions of years, is to suggestion a thing which MNS does not appear to allow.
  A person who survives some disease which in every other case is fatal is a subject for study on the ground that it is either a misdiagnosis or the patient has been exposed to someting, or in so built by whatever means, such that he has not died. If the god in question causes the individual to survive, without secondary natural cause or causes, then MNS can learn nothing from the case. MNS always works with the assumption that the cause is knowable and discoverable.
  Regarding evolution it should not be necessary to indicate that MNS does not allow that god might have done this or that, but rather that the natural world is the product of a long undirected natural process in which all life evolves by way of natural selection. If the miracle causing active deity is allow, natural selction is set down as one possible explanation fro each event in natural history to be so explained, the active deity is set down as the other. A confident argument that all life evolves requires of necessity the rejecton of the active deity. No doubt some figures in MNS community make the appeal to god, by way if ID or some other argument, but this is a minority view.

  Timothy E. Kennelly

George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com> wrote:
          Mr. Kennelly -

  There is nothing in modern science that contradicts the belief that God is active in the natural world precisely in and with physical interactions. OTOH the belief that God does everything doesn't mean that natural processes do nothing, any more than the fact that I'm typing all of the letters on this message means that the computer is doing nothing. (Of course that's a rather crude analogy.) You might want to look at Chapter 12 of Ian Barbour's Religion and Science in which he discusses 9 different ways of understanding God's role in nature.

  Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/