Re: Why did God send the flood (ABR article): to wipe out seed of Satan

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 09:34:33 EST

At 06:40 AM 2/18/2006, Hon Wai Lai wrote:
>I came across this imaginative account of why God sent the flood in
>a ABR e-newsletter
><http://biblearchaeology.org>http://biblearchaeology.org. I have to
>paste the article in full as there is no weblink. I am interested in
>hearing others' critique of the article's exegesis.

>Why Did God Send the Flood?
>Austin Robbins, D.D.S.
>....The Sons of God and the Daughters of Men
>
>There are differing views as to the identification of these "sons of
>God" mentioned in verses 2 and 4. Robert C. Newman surveyed the
>various ideas proposed and accepted by ancient Jewish exegetes,
>ancient Christian interpreters and the authors of the New Testament.
>He documented the fact that in the pre-Christian era, Jews accepted
>the view that the "sons of God" were supernatural beings. The New
>Testament writers also accepted that view. It is only in relatively
>recent times that a non-supernatural identification of these "sons
>of God" has found wide acceptance. (Robert C. Newman, The Ancient
>Exegesis of Genesis 6: 2, 4. Grace Theological Journal, 5, 1, 1984
>pp. 13-36.) ..." [snip]

### Your article refers to what is known as the "Serpent Seed
Doctrine". It's unbiblical. It looks as if Austin Robbins, the
retired dentist who wrote the article you posted
<http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-c003.html> has been
watching too much TBN in his spare time -- ie: Arnold Murray (or
William Branham - scroll down to The Serpent's
Seed <http://www.apologeticsindex.org/l07.html>) ~ Janice

Arnold Murray - The serpent seed and the
Kenites http://www.carm.org/chapel/serpent_seed.htm

      Two additional distinguishing and erroneous doctrines of the
Shepherd's Chapel are known as the Serpent Seed doctrine and the
Kenite doctrine. These are intimately related. The Serpent Seed
doctrine is the teaching that in the Garden of Eden, the serpent (the
devil) had sexual relations with Eve. The result was that she bore
Cain. The descendents of Cain are called Kenites. Abel, however, is
the result of Adam and Eve having relations.
      <http://www.carm.org/chapel/arnold_murray.htm>Arnold Murray,
the pastor of the
<http://www.carm.org/chapel/shepherds_chapel.htm>Shepherd's Chapel,
is the primary advocate of these doctrines which he adamantly teaches
and which his followers have adopted as biblical truth. Mr. Murray states,

When you look for the in-depth meaning of "men as trees, walking",
you are able to see that Christ wants us to understand there are
plantings of God and plantings of the devil. The plantings of that
wicked one began in the garden of Eden with the conception of Cain
and follow down through his progeny, the Kenites. (Newsletter #195,
Jan 1995. See also, #202, August 1995).

      The Kenites, according to Mr. Murray, must be exposed. "We
must continue to teach who the Kenites are," says Mr. Murray,
(Newsletter #190, August 1994). He states that the Kenites survived
the flood (he denies the global flood) and are found in the lineage
of Israel, not Judah, (Newsletter #179, Sept. 1993). Eventually, the
Kenites permeated the nation of Israel and are the ones who shouted
"Crucify Him," in reference to Jesus, (Newsletter #179, Sept. 1993).
      In an attempt at biblical support, on his website at
<http://www.shepherdschapel.com/answers.htm>Answers to Critics, Mr.
Murray states:

In <http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Gen/Gen_3.htm#14 >Gen. 3:15 God
is speaking to the serpent, "and I will put enmity between thee and
the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy
head, and thou shall bruise his heel."

      Mr. Murray infers that when God says "thy seed" to Satan, He is
referring to the Kenites, the descendents of Cain which were
literally produced through the literal "seed" of Satan.
      Of course, I disagree with Mr. Murray in his analysis. We do
not really know exactly what form Satan was in the Garden, though I
will submit to God's word and affirm it was a snake of some
sort. The word "serpent" is "nachash" and means serpent or
snake. If we take the word literally and it means snake, then Mr.
Murray would be forced to explain how a literal snake could have
sexual intercourse with Eve. If Mr. Murray were to acknowledge the
potential of a figurative usage of the term here, then he needs to
explain why the term "serpent" would be figurative and the term
"seed" would be literal. Furthermore, if the serpent were Satan in a
different form, and Eve spoke to the serpent, then did Eve have sex
with a snake or with a different form of the snake; that is, did the
snake change into another more apropos form to consummate his
deception? If so, wouldn't Eve have been suspicious of a talking
snake that changes form into something else with which she then
agrees to sexual intercourse? As you can see, the issue, from Mr.
Murray's perspective, is wrought with problems -- none of which he
has answered.
      Nevertheless, his entire position is easily refuted when we
examine <http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Gen/Gen_4.htm#1 A>Gen.
4:1: "Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived
and gave birth to Cain, and she said, "I have gotten a manchild with
the help of the Lord." We can see that the Bible clearly tells us
who the Father of Cain is: Adam. The Serpent Seed idea is proven wrong.
      In addition, I believe that it is more natural to attribute the
term "seed" in
<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Gen/Gen_3.htm#14 >Gen. 3:15 as a
reference to the spiritual decedents of Satan, not his literal
ones. We can see that being a true spiritual descendent is by faith,
not by biology.

"For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that
circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29But he is a Jew, which
is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the
spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of
God," (<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Romans/rom_2.htm#28 >Rom. 2:28-29).

"For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of
God," (<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Romans/rom_8.htm#Bu>Rom. 8:14).

"The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are
children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and
fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him in order that
we may also be glorified with Him,"
(<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Romans/rom_8.htm#For>Rom. 8:16).

"That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of
God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants,"
(<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Romans/rom_9.htm#8 >Rom. 9:8).

       Clearly, being a descendent has a spiritual
quality. Likewise, Satan's descendents are those who identify with
him in his lies. This is why Jesus said in
<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/John/john_8.htm#44>John 8:44 to
the Pharisees, "You are of your father the devil, and you want to do
the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and
does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him.
Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature; for he is a
liar, and the father of lies."
      In addition, "seed" is also referred to as the word of God
(<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Matt/matt_13.htm#17 >Matt.
13:18-23; <http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Luke/luke_8.htm#10 >Luke
8:11; <http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/1Pet/1Pet_1.htm#23 >1 Pet.
1:23) and as the spiritual life in
(<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/1John/1John_3.htm#9 >1 John
3:9). The whole flavor of spiritual identification with God is
included in terms of being the offspring of God
(<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Gal/gal_3.htm#For>Gal. 3:29;
<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Acts/acts_17.htm#28 >Acts 17:28)
and the children of God
(<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/Romans/rom_8.htm#For>Rom.
8:16-17). Consider
<http://www.carm.org/chapel/../kjv/1John/1John_3.htm#9 >1 John 3:9
which says, "No one who is born of God practices sin, because His
seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of
God." Obviously, the Christian does not contain the literal seed of
God in him. Seed here, must refer to a spiritual element of
indwelling, of ideology, and of faith. The Christian does not
practice sin. It is against his beliefs and confession. Therefore,
God's seed abides in the Christian, but it isn't literal seed as a
descendent through procreation, but through spiritual identification.

Us against Them

      The Serpent Seed doctrine is an unscriptural and unfortunate
teaching. From it is derived an "us against them" mentality in which
anyone who disagrees with Mr. Murray can easily be accused of being a
Kenite. This is obvious in some of his quotes:
    * "How many today are teaching from a quarterly written by a
Kenite, rather than teaching from God's Word? (Newsletter #193, Nov. 1994).
    * How can we sum this up? If you are doing God's will, don't
worry about criticism from others. "Well, Pastor Murray they say we
are a cult." Who cares what they say? God is on our side. Victory is
a certainty. Does it ever seem like the enemy is winning? Anytime you
get to feeling this way, turn to Psalms 9. This Psalm tells us what
we should be earnestly expecting. Keep the meaning of "apokaradokia"
in mind as we read this Psalm. (Newsletter #229 - November 1997).

      Of course, if you study with him you are not being deceived,
but if you are studying elsewhere, you're studying with a Kenite or
siding with the enemy. Such are the machinations of this leader who
teaches false doctrines.
      Please be very wary of the Shepherd's Chapel.

*

http://www.carm.org/shepherds_chapel.htm

      The Shepherd's Chapel is a church out of Gravette, Arkansas run
by a man named Arnold Murray. Mr. Murray has a television and radio
outreach where he spreads his particular doctrines. Many of these
doctrines of his are definitely not biblical.

Introduction
islam
   <http://www.carm.org/chapel/intro_chapel.htm>To students of the
Shepherd's Chapel