Re: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: <cmekve@aol.com>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 18:20:46 EST

 There's an interesting item that showed up on the Slate magazine website today http://www.slate.com/id/2136042 under the subheading "DNA evidence is rattling Mormonism". The gist of it is that according to the book of Mormon, central and south Americans are descendants of the Jews. Unfortunately DNA evidence gives no sign of Middle Eastern genes; rather it indicates an Asian source. I point it out as an analogy to some of the discussion on this list. Rather than "rattling Mormonism", it apparently is having little or no affect on most Mormons, who either reject the science or just ignore it. Which is what historian Jim Moore not-so-subtly pointed out for evangelicals in his article in the Noll, Livingstone, Hart volume on science and evangelicals a few years ago (sorry I'm vague; I don't have the book in front of me).

Karl
Karl V. Evans
cmekve@aol.com