Re: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 16:38:39 EST

Janice wrote:
> The only ones playing a serious game of Russian roulette are the ones
> who get the blood test that detects they are at especially high risk
> of developing lung cancer, and go ahead and smoke anyhow (or don't
> immediately quit).

Janice, this statement is contradicted by the very article you quote:

"> Of course, even smokers
> with normal OGG1 activity are at a greater risk of getting lung
> cancer than the general population and the blood test will not ensure
> that they don't get the disease. In addition, smoking causes other
> types of cancer and cardiovascular diseases, whose relation to OGG1
> activity is still unknown."

No one is saying there is not a genetic susceptbility to lung cancer. I don't doubt that
there is, just as I don't doubt that my genes play a role in my liklihood of developing
diabetes, heart disease, breast cancer or skin cancer. But that in no way negates the
mountains of research showing the importance of other risk factors I can choose to expose
myself to (high fat diet, estrogen replacement therapy, sun exposure.) I play Russian
Roulette with any of those. My genes may add a bullet or two to the gun but my behavior
is the main determinant of how often it is spun and fired.

Given what you've told us, your 90% figure is meaningless.