RE: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 15:19:56 EST

>>> Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> 02/17/06 2:02 PM >>>writes:

### The bottom line FACT is that only 10% of HEAVY smokers develop
lung cancer.

How any given person will choose to "interpret" that fact won't be
based upon his IQ or education - it will instead be based upon his
emotional maturity.

Ted responds:
If there is an argument above, Janice, I fail to find it. What in the
world, pray tell, does one's emotional maturity have to do with establishing
the link between smoking and lung cancer? Or, since the evidence is
similar, what does emotional maturity have to do with establishing the link
between illicit drug use and acquiring HIV/AIDs? Or the link between heavy
drinking and liver disease?

If you were to say that emotional maturity has something to do with how a
person *responds* to information of this kind, then we might agree on
something, though I doubt we would agree on precisely how to apply it in the
present case.

ted