RE: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 14:16:08 EST

Funny, 10% develop lung cancer and Janice somehow does not see the link between smoking and lung cancer?

Why are not all people who drive without a seatbelt or who drive drunk dead? And yet both are known risk factors.

Seems scientists may have failed to educate the lay people about scientific concepts.

Sigh

So let me add something to the mix which may confuse some

Global warming may mean local cooling in some areas. Imagine that...

Cheers

Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> wrote: At 12:51 PM 2/17/2006, Ted Davis wrote:
>>> Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> 02/17/06 12:07 PM >>>writes:

 ### Here is an inconvenient fact which you may not have seen since it doesn't fit the template of leftist, junk-science promoting publications like the NY Times or the Washington Post:

 90% of hospitalized lung cancer patients are smokers. However, only 10% of heavy smokers develop the disease, suggesting involvement of a
 personal genetic susceptibility. ..." More: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-09/wi-nbt090203.php

 Ted replies:
 Janice, if the inference here is that smoking does not "cause" lung cancer, ie. smoking does not significantly contribute to a person's chances for getting lung cancer, then that inference is junk-science, whether it comes from the left, right, or center of the political spectrum.
 ### The bottom line FACT is that only 10% of HEAVY smokers develop lung cancer.

 How any given person will choose to "interpret" that fact won't be based upon his IQ or education - it will instead be based upon his emotional maturity.

 We know experimentally that components of tobacco smoke are carcinogens; ..
 ### We also know that organic apple juice often contains up to 137 naturally occuring volatile chemicals, of which five have been tested. Two of these five have been found to be carcinogenic in laboratory animals. Alcohol is also another human carcinogen.

 ....we also know statistically that smokers are far more likely to develop lung cancer (or throat cancer, or cancer of the jaw/mouth for that matter) than are non-smokers.
 ### Yes - to REPEAT: 90% of hospitalized lung cancer patients are smokers.

 But only 10% of heavy smokers develop lung cancer.