RE: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Ted Davis <>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 12:51:22 EST

>>> Janice Matchett <> 02/17/06 12:07 PM >>>writes:

### Here is an inconvenient fact which you may not have seen since
it doesn't fit the template of leftist, junk-science promoting
publications like the NY Times or the Washington Post:

90% of hospitalized lung cancer patients are smokers. However, only
10% of heavy smokers develop the disease, suggesting involvement of a
personal genetic susceptibility. ..." More:

Ted replies:
Janice, if the inference here is that smoking does not "cause" lung cancer,
ie. smoking does not significantly contribute to a person's chances for
getting lung cancer, then that inference is junk-science, whether it comes
from the left, right, or center of the political spectrum. We know
experimentally that components of tobacco smoke are carcinogens; we also
know statistically that smokers are far more likely to develop lung cancer
(or throat cancer, or cancer of the jaw/mouth for that matter) than are

Interestingly, Janice, and perhaps you recall this (I don't know how old
you are), in the 1950s and 1960s it was conservative Protestants who tended
to push this information--that is, they tended to be the ones pushing the
medical establishment to admit what the facts were indicating, to admit that
smoking is a very significant factor in causing various cancers. I recall
seeing a little book by a Christian physician, "None of These Diseases,"
which advanced this point of view and promoted a lifestyle of abstience from
alcohol and tobacco as a way of honoring the God-given "temples" that are
our bodies.

What is your view of these comments, Jancie? *Your view* is what I am
interested in reading, not the views of various websites.