RE: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 12:51:22 EST

>>> Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net> 02/17/06 12:07 PM >>>writes:

### Here is an inconvenient fact which you may not have seen since
it doesn't fit the template of leftist, junk-science promoting
publications like the NY Times or the Washington Post:

90% of hospitalized lung cancer patients are smokers. However, only
10% of heavy smokers develop the disease, suggesting involvement of a
personal genetic susceptibility. ..." More:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-09/wi-nbt090203.php

Ted replies:
Janice, if the inference here is that smoking does not "cause" lung cancer,
ie. smoking does not significantly contribute to a person's chances for
getting lung cancer, then that inference is junk-science, whether it comes
from the left, right, or center of the political spectrum. We know
experimentally that components of tobacco smoke are carcinogens; we also
know statistically that smokers are far more likely to develop lung cancer
(or throat cancer, or cancer of the jaw/mouth for that matter) than are
non-smokers.

Interestingly, Janice, and perhaps you recall this (I don't know how old
you are), in the 1950s and 1960s it was conservative Protestants who tended
to push this information--that is, they tended to be the ones pushing the
medical establishment to admit what the facts were indicating, to admit that
smoking is a very significant factor in causing various cancers. I recall
seeing a little book by a Christian physician, "None of These Diseases,"
which advanced this point of view and promoted a lifestyle of abstience from
alcohol and tobacco as a way of honoring the God-given "temples" that are
our bodies.

What is your view of these comments, Jancie? *Your view* is what I am
interested in reading, not the views of various websites.

Ted