Re: Self-deception, faith, and scepticism

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 07:31:45 EST

On 2/15/06, Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I think we are on the same page. But about this: "*Apart from
> invoking
> > the fine tuning of the universe (which you could say is a weak form of
> the
> > Intelligent Design hypothesis), there isn't any evidence I can offer
> him"
> > *do
> > you mean evidence from natural science?

Yes, that's what I meant. Hardened atheists seem to value scientific
evidence above all other things.

The point I was making was that, sure you can argue self-deception if what
you believe in doesn't have any hard scientific evidence, but that everyone
indulges in self-deception - the honest approach to everything seems to lead
to despair and dread, as in the case of the poet Philip Larkin, because
ultimately you'd never be able to reconcile the fact that you will
inevitably lose everything that you gained. Another line in the Monty
Python "Life of Brian" song goes "what have you come from? Nothing! Where
are you going to? Nothing! So what have you lost? Nothing!", which is a
self-deceptive argument, because it ignores the bit in the middle, described
by Larkin as "The million-petalled flower of being here". What you gained
by being born you are surely going to lose, and in order to survive without
falling into despair, you either have to have a religion, or live your life
ignoring the fact of the inevitable.

Iain

 There certainly are many more