Re: The death of the RTB model

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 11:36:21 EST

My instincts are with the historic church on this one; also with the gospel
writers, who were forced to confront the idolatrous fact that Jesus had
really been God in the flesh; and with Polkinghorne, who puts it like this
in his newest book (Exploring Reality):

"One of the most significant things about Jesus of Nazareth is that we have
heard of him."

"Yet we have all heard of Jesus. We should not rest content with any
account of him that does not make this fact intelligible. The story of
Jesus continued after his death. [His] followers ... proclaimed that God
had made him 'both Lord (a title particularly associated with the one true
God of Israel) and Messiah'. They took that faith right across the known
world and many of them lost their lives rather than deny it when they were
persecuted. Their confident proclamation has come down through the
centuries to us today, set out in the writings of the New Testament, and it
is supported by the continuing witness of the Church. From the first, the
origin of that continuing story has been asserted to lie in the fact that
God raised Jesus from the dead the third day after his death and burial."

The "Son of God" term in the NT has special significance, applied to Jesus
in specific ways consistent with the proclamation described above. Whether
or not Jesus fully understood all of his significance at the time (I tend to
think he did), he was in fact the incarnation of God or else the NT is
incomprehensible.

Ted