Re: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 18:33:11 EST

 From one larger perspective, mankind can probably cause no irreparable
harm.

We can certainly do great harm with respect to our own kind as humans
and other higher order living inhabitants, and we may do great damage to
the environment as valued (even altruistically) from our own
perspective. However, the historical record of earth shows that there
have in the past been great life-extinguishing events that occurred and
at the minimum certainly altered the course of earth history and
biological development. Yet, in each case, the stunningly robust and
relentless progression of life has replenished the earth - a bit
different in form, but replenished nonetheless.

Now I don't take that as any sort of license to do as we please and
exert lousy stewardship of the earth we have and know now. It certainly
would not be in the best interest of us human sorts, nor kind to our
progeny. It's just to say that if we do poorly, this particular
"experiment" (line of development) fails (to a greater or lesser
extent), and that God's creative purpose(s) are likely to be achieved in
alternate ways that we have difficulty imagining, with values that are
His own, and along time lines that are similarly essentially
irrrelevant to us. For us to continue to proceed fruitfully and
benevolently for many generations to come, we need to have a time
perspective and mindfulness whose horizons are well beyond the next 10,
or 100, or even 500 years with respect to our environment and its
resources. That won't happen with uninformed and shallow or naive
thinking. JimA