Re: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 16:27:46 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carol or John Burgeson" <burgytwo@juno.com>
To: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

> 1. Chuck wrote: "I disagree with Burgy when he writes that "[i]ndividuals
> ought to speak upon these issues. But I'm not keen on organizations doing
> so." I think it is
> the role of organizations of like-minded people to speak out on issues
> where
> the organized church lacks the expertise. Thus, I can see Christian
> environmentalist, ethicists, engineers, biologists, etc., band together
> in
> appropriate organizations and speak out. But, maybe, that's what he had
> in
> mind?"
>
> Upon reflection, I agree with Chuck here. The key word is "appropriate
> organizations." Thus my denomination (PCUSA) ought not (IMHO) speak out
> on issues such as global warming, UNLESS it is with carefully chosen
> caveats, but OUGHT to speak on ethical issues. The ASA, since we are an
> organization of (mostly) like-minded individuals, OUGHT to speak on some
> scientifically-related issues, and global warming is among these. Yet,
> even within our ranks, there are no doubt some who regard global warming
> as "junk science." Just as there are those who still hold YEC and
> anti-evolutionary views. So even for the ASA "speaking out" seems
> problematical.
>
> What is it that we (ASAers) ALL agree upon? Perhaps it is a statement to
> the effect that Christian faith and good science are not at odds with one
> another. Perhaps that's all we really can agree upon. Even that much is
> important to say.
>
> 2. Thanks to Bob for his insight into the organizations involved. Scary
> stuff!

A responsibility for churches that is even more fundamental than speaking
about ethical issues connected with the environment is speaking about
_theological_ issues: Our ethics should grow out of our theology. &
churches should deal with the task of environmmental theology whether or not
global warming is actually occurring & whether or not it (if real) is
anthropogenic. I.e., our environmental theologies ought not be just
superficial responses to the most recent scientific data but should be
explications of what the Christian faith implies about the natural world &
our place in, & responsibilities for, it.

But that shouldn't be left at the level of generalities. We also need to be
able to speak to specific real concerns. & when scientific evidence becomes
very strong then churches should be prepared to say "If X is true - as
scientific evidence presently indicates - then we should do Y & not Z."

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/