Re: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 10:13:21 EST

1. Chuck wrote: "I disagree with Burgy when he writes that "[i]ndividuals
ought to speak upon these issues. But I'm not keen on organizations doing
so." I think it is
the role of organizations of like-minded people to speak out on issues
where
the organized church lacks the expertise. Thus, I can see Christian
environmentalist, ethicists, engineers, biologists, etc., band together
in
appropriate organizations and speak out. But, maybe, that's what he had
in
mind?"

Upon reflection, I agree with Chuck here. The key word is "appropriate
organizations." Thus my denomination (PCUSA) ought not (IMHO) speak out
on issues such as global warming, UNLESS it is with carefully chosen
caveats, but OUGHT to speak on ethical issues. The ASA, since we are an
organization of (mostly) like-minded individuals, OUGHT to speak on some
scientifically-related issues, and global warming is among these. Yet,
even within our ranks, there are no doubt some who regard global warming
as "junk science." Just as there are those who still hold YEC and
anti-evolutionary views. So even for the ASA "speaking out" seems
problematical.

What is it that we (ASAers) ALL agree upon? Perhaps it is a statement to
the effect that Christian faith and good science are not at odds with one
another. Perhaps that's all we really can agree upon. Even that much is
important to say.

2. Thanks to Bob for his insight into the organizations involved. Scary
stuff!

Burgy