Re: The death of the RTB model

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 10:01:20 EST

*Is it special creation if God creates a being (us) to look as if we had a
genetic link with the apes and archaic hominids, when in fact we didn't?*

Who said anything about the "appearance" of a genetic link? What I
suggested is that perhaps the "dust of the ground" in Gen. 2:7 included
genetic / biological material from "protohuman" hominids. This would mean
there is a real, not apparent, genetic link between us and them. If "dust
of the ground" isn't merely a metaphorical phrase, then "special creation"
of Adam doesn't preclude the use of pre-existing created matter in God's
"construction" of Adam. Certainly ordinary "dust" often includes organic
material such as sluffed off skin cells. Of course, this may be reading too
much into the little phrase "dust of the ground," but who knows? There are
more things in heaven and earth than are dreampt of in your (or my)
philosophy.

On 2/14/06, glennmorton@entouch.net <glennmorton@entouch.net> wrote:

> >>It does because the replacement theory said that the archaics made
almost no contribution to modern humanity and a special >>creation of Adam
would say the very same thing.

> >Special creation only says that if you define special creation to say it
that way. The little riff on it that I gave provides an >alternative, as
does the little riff on it found on your own website, Glenn.

> What is a riff? I would be curious as to how you define special creation.
Is it special creation if God creates a being (us) to look as if we had a
genetic link with the apes and archaic hominids, when in fact we didn't? I
would freely admit that God COULD do this, but one would have to wonder why,
and one would have to wonder what else God is deceiving us about.