Re: Self-deception, faith, and scepticism

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 09:50:01 EST

Ok, I think we are on the same page. But about this: "*Apart from invoking
the fine tuning of the universe (which you could say is a weak form of the
Intelligent Design hypothesis), there isn't any evidence I can offer him" *do
you mean evidence from natural science? There certainly are many more
evidences apart from natural science that support theism. In addition to
the argument from design / teleological argument / and cosmological argument
(which are strong even apart from the particular arguments of ID), there is
the moral argument, the argument from religious need, the argument from joy,
the ontological argument, historical arguments concerning the life, death
and resurrection of Christ and growth of the Church, and experiential
arguments from the lives of individual believers, among others.

All of these arguments face counterarguments, of course, and none of them
offer conclusive "proof" of God. When we talk about "proof" of God, though,
I think we give up the epistemological framework too quickly. In
apologetics, we should be talking more about the "coherency" of the
Christian worldview more than any particular rationalistic "proof" of God,
IMHO.