Re: Self-deception, faith, and scepticism

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 08:47:42 EST

I think you're maybe making the same point. Yes, "the fool says in his
heart - there is no god". There are many motivations for atheism - desire
for freedom from a controlling deity being a strong one I guess. But I have
at least one atheist friend who states clearly - he doesn't believe in God
because he doesn't see any evidence of God. Apart from invoking the fine
tuning of the universe (which you could say is a weak form of the
Intelligent Design hypothesis), there isn't any evidence I can offer him.
As I understand it, there are two forms of the anthropic principle, a weaker
form which says "things are as they are because we are" (I remember Stephen
Hawking made this point in his inaugural lecture as Lucasian professor of
maths, which I attended). That form doesn't point to a theistic explanation
- it just says if things weren't the way they are then we wouldn't be there
to ask the question. I think the stronger form of anthropic principle
implies that the universe must have been designed to bring forth life.
Because I'm a Christian, I subscribe to that view - the bible tells me so in
Genesis Ch 1, when God says "Let the earth bring forth .... and the earth
brought forth". But that's a faith-based decision, not one based on hard
scientific evidence - it can never rule out the collossal fluke argument, or
indeed the multiverse argument. I'm not sure if you can say there's hard
evidence to support either form.

Iain

--
- Italian Proverb