Re: Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 21:29:12 EST

Brugy writes:
> Note the Alan Wisdom quote Jerry uses. "Churches should be reluctant to
> attach the name of the Gospel of Christ to contemporary political agendas
> that lack a clear scriptural mandate and consensus among the faithful."

The Institute of Religion and Democracy, which Wisdom is president of, is a
right-wing advocacy organization bent on changing the directions and social
programs of the mainline Protestant churches. The IRD is allied with the
American Anglican Council, which opposes the ordination of gays and lesbians
in the Episcopal Church. Trace their connections and you'll find Bruce
Chapman of the Discovery Institute and financier Howard Ahmanson, as well as
the Scaife family. The IRD is also allied through its board members with a
number of conservative political, social and religious organizations. They
have their own political agenda. IMHO, it is political conservatives who
have labeled the scientific issue of global warming as politically
motivated, which strikes me as a case of denial and projection. It is
Falwell who has a political agenda here.

Bob