Jerry Falwell -- global warming is "junk science"

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 18:44:36 EST

The letter below is from one of us who does more to embarrass
Christianity than just about anyone. OK -- maybe not as much as Pat
Robertson and certainly not as much as Fred Phelps.

Yet, in this case I find myself in substantial agreement. The Rick Warren
group simply does not have the expertise to make this recommendation.

Of course, Jerry also lacks the expertise to declare global warming as
"junk."

Note the Alan Wisdom quote Jerry uses. "Churches should be reluctant to
attach the name of the Gospel of Christ to contemporary political agendas
that lack a clear scriptural mandate and consensus among the faithful."
There are a number of such issues Jerry is not at all reluctant to speak
up on. Gun control, euthanasia, stem cell research, capital punishment,
civil rights for gays and lesbians, etc. Not to mention the questions of
origins and evolution.

Individuals ought to speak up on these issues. But I'm not keen on
organizations doing so. But the masses that receive the Falwell emails
and treat them as prophetic truth will no doubt reinforce their existing
prejudices against science. One more "brick" in the YEC message.

Burgy