Re: On Gray, "Darwinism," and "design"

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 08:16:11 EST

Gregory,

I see a paralell here between what the ID group have done and what Republicans/conservatives have done in American culture/politics. They have been successful by constructing a frame through which they have been able to determine and dominate the discussion, and they have drawn in their opponents to respond to them within their own frame. I.e., label some person or political program as "liberal" and they have already determined the course of the debate. Their frame is one that appeals emotionally and promises to drive away peoples' fears about science and meet their need to be reassured that there is a God (the designer) who has made all things including themselves and that we do not live in a meaningless, purposeless world.

Those of us who think the ID advocates are not accurately presenting the facts about evolution need to deconstruct their frame, show it to be inadequate for meeting needs and answering fears, and provide an alternative that both presents evolution in a positive light and brings creation and evolution together. A frame that assures people that God creates and evolution is good science. Mostly, we have to educate people about what science really is and what scientists really do, since public ignorance among Americans about these things is rampant. If we merely respond to their frame we remain trapped in it.

We also need to find a way to match their organization (Discovery Institute and other propaganda organs) with one of our own.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob Schneider