Re: Gingerich-Behe-Hall

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 00:27:53 EST

To Gregory and George:
I suggest that we should leave the social sciences out of this
discussion for the moment. Neither Behe nor Dembski is a social scientist.
It seems to me that Behe and Dembski have adopted an indefensible
position. Behe insists that the moleular structures not only look like
machines but actually *are* machines. (Denton now says that they are not
machines). Having made that move, Behe must now, in order to do science,
explain not only how those machines are planned but how they are
manufactured. But he refuses to say how they are manufactured. That
means that he is not doing science. What he is doing is vacuous -- he is
ignoring the requirements of a proper scientific explanation. Dembski
depends on Behe's argument and so is effectively in the same
indefensible position. And the answer to Gregory's question is that at
the level of molecular biology being discussed by Behe, the science is
inevitably mechanistic, despite what Behe and Dembski may claim.
Don

--
Donald A. Nield
Associate Professor, Department of Engineering Science