RE: The intellectual's intellectual: "Earth is now at risk, let's save it"

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 17:11:52 EST

Perhaps the statement can be explained due to a careless reading of what Gore said

<quote>
WARNING that the world will reach the "tipping point" toward an ecological catastrophe within the next 10 years, former US Vice President Al Gore urged international and local leaders to focus their efforts toward halting the phenomenon of global warming.</quote>

The Tipping Point would be reached within the next 10 years. I need to see that actual presentation to understand what time frames Gore is talking about when discussing sea level rise.

See http://news.inq7.net/nation/index.php?index=1&story_id=65865

Tjalle T Vandergraaf <ttveiv@mts.net> wrote: v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } I had not seen the pronouncements by Al Gore, so I “googled” “Al Gore”, “environment” and “2006” and that got me to the website that reported on Mr Gore’s speech in Manila (http://news.inq7.net/nation/index.php?index=1&story_id=65662). I did not see anything there about the environment being destroyed in ten years or ocean levels rising 5 metres in the next ten years but that website may not be an accurate representation of his actual words. I wasn’t there.

  I agree with Pim that it doesn’t matter a whole lot when an environmental calamity occurs. The question really is what right an individual has to the resources that, I believe, God has given us and what our individual responsibility is to the environment. Surely we know that, no matter what we do, we impact on the environment, be that by driving to the corner store (or, more commonly, the bog box store) in a 1500 kg car to buy a litre of milk or by flying to a foreign mission field to spread the Good News. To me, the question is one of *why* we use these resources. In the final analysis, we are accountable for our actions.