ID: Faith is Easy

From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 20:59:42 EST

http://www.uwosh.edu/colleges/cols/Clergy%20Articles%20PDF/duncan_stan_ma.pdf

We are all aware of the risks ID pose to science but the risk of ID to religion should also not be underestimated.

Stan Duncan, Abington, MA Writes:

<quote>
I am concerned that if the Dover School Board wins its case, and the theory of Creationism/Intelligent Design is promoted and accepted as a scientific theory on par with the theory of evolution, it would ultimately do tremendous damage to the concept of faith and the task of Christians to proclaim the Gospel.

According to my tradition, faith is the "assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). If it ever came to pass that science could prove the existence of God or prove that God created the world in seven days, then the whole nature of faith as we know it would be turned on its head.
</quote>

If faith becomes 'scientific' then we do not need faith anymore.

<quote>
The philosophy of "Intelligent Design" implies strongly that evidence of the mysterious ground of our very being, that we call God, can be discovered by studying such things as the amino acid sequences of key proteins. That encourages us to believe that that which we worship can be known by the mind and the senses instead of the heart and the spirit. This desire to demonstrate God concretely is an ancient idolatry that was panned by the prophets and condemned by the church because it takes away the gray areas of religion and denies us the soul-strengthening struggle with doubt that is a necessary forerunner for faithful conviction.
</quote>

Again, the impact of this is a that faith becomes subserviant to science.

<quote>One of the things that makes me nervous about Intelligent Design today is that if it is accepted in our school systems and in our culture, we may well create a whole generation of Protestant, Catholic, Muslim and Jewish children who will grow up thinking that belief in God is easy.</quote>

Comments?