Re: News clips of interest

From: Janice Matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 10:19:13 EST

### So has this: http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2747/punxhill6ws.jpg

>So what is your point Janice by quoting some
>random websites? When will you make a real argument I wonder? ~ Pim

### Trying to change the subject to "me", again, are you?

Whether I make the argument or someone else makes
it, you know as well as I that your "logic" won't
permit you to consider any argument to be a
"real" argument unless it agrees with an
"interpretation" of the facts that coincides with yours.

Nevertheless, this is a "real" argument - in spite of how you feel about it:

Thursday, January 26, 2006 By Steven Milloy

[Huge snip]

Back to the real world, however, the ozone
depletion hypothesis has a great big hole of its own.

No one disputes the basic chemistry of ozone
depletion – chlorine atoms from CFCs released
into the environment can find their way into the
stratosphere where they can chemically react with and "destroy" ozone.

It should be noted, however, that CFCs aren't the
only source of chlorine atoms in the stratosphere
– Mother Nature, in fact, may supply most of
them. Also, ozone is also continually being
created so we won't ever run out of ozone.

In any event, none of the alleged environmental
and public health horrors of CFC-induced ozone
"destruction" have ever been observed despite
extensive study – one of the best kept secrets of environmentalism.

While overexposure to UV is a risk factor for
some types of skin cancer and cataracts, no
scientific study has ever demonstrated a link
between ozone depletion and such overexposure or any health effects.

A December 2003 article in the journal
Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, for
example, would only go so far as to say that "The
potential health effects of elevated levels of
ambient UV-B radiation are diverse, and it is
difficult to quantify the risks." [Emphasis added]

The absence of evidence linking ozone layer
thinning with health effects isn't surprising
because the phenomenon was never thought (by
experts, anyway) to lead to more than a trivial
(10 percent) increase in UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface.

As there is about a 5000 percent increase in UV
radiation moving from the poles to the equator, a
10 percent increase in the mid-latitudes equates
to a move 60 miles to the south – "hardly a
source for health concerns," says physicist Dr.
S. Fred Singer of the
<http://www.sepp.org/ozone/ozonefranklin.html>Science<http://www.sepp.org/ozone/ozonefranklin.html>
and Environmental Policy Project.

It's not even clear that ozone depletion, in its
pre-phaseout heyday, ever increased the amount of
UV radiation hitting the Earth's surface. "There
has been, of course, a determined search for a
secular increase in [UV radiation] to match the
presumed depletion of ozone. But no such trends
had been observed," says Dr. Singer.

And a little common sense about UV radiation goes
a long way. Life flourishes in the tropics where
UV radiation levels are far higher than in the
quite inhospitable
<http://www.junkscience.com/Ozone/ozone_seasonal.htm>polar regions.

Yes, there is an "ozone hole," but that label is
more appropriately applied to the Montreal
Protocol than the ever-changing thickness of the
ozone layer over the Antarctic polar region.

Former Vice President "Ozone Al" Gore
acknowledged in a recent presentation I attended
that the real value of the Montreal Protocol was
that it demonstrated the global political power of the environmental movement.

But while getting a junk science-fueled
international treaty signed may have been a
valuable political exercise for
environmentalists, the Montreal Protocol can
hardly be considered a success if it winds up
needlessly depriving asthmatics of available,
affordable and effective medication.

Steven Milloy publishes
<http://www.junkscience.com/>JunkScience.com and
<http://www.csrwatch.com/>CSRwatch.com, and is an
adjunct scholar at the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

~ Janice