Re: AIG says it like it is

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 10:02:50 EST

*And if we ourselves are willing to believe something that is not
objectively or experientially true, why do we deny the YECs their freedom to
equally believe what is not objectively true?*

I don't think anyone wants to deny anyone's "freedom" to believe whatever
they want. Part of the problem is that you seem to buy into the power
struggle -- who can force whom to accept what beliefs. I would think that's
not what we want to be all about. I'd think we'd want to be about
presenting the truth in love, and having the patience to allow the Holy
Spirit to work in and through the Church over time to bring people into a
mature view of these difficult question.

The other part of the problem is that you are apparently so cocksure of that
your position is the final, complete, "objective and experiential" truth.
It seems to me that on this point, you're acting like as much a
fundamentalist as any YEC. I don't think many folks in the pews will be
swayed by *"you must reject YEC and look at the creation / evolution issue
my way and my way only,"* nor should they be. Many thoughful people will
respond, however, to reasonable alternatives presented with an appropriate
degree of humilty. Of course, many people will not respond favorably even
to that because they are so invested in their own views. But dogmatic
insistence on non-essentials is one way in which Satan has divided the
Church for millenia. It shouldn't surprise us that such strife will
continue until the Lord returns.

On 2/7/06, glennmorton@entouch.net <glennmorton@entouch.net> wrote:

> I will respond once and then I am off.
>
> Michael Roberts wrote:
>
> >Well you wont get any sense from someone who believes anything as
nonsensical as
> >"accommodation/allegory/metaphor" Anyway I don't know anyone who accepts
such a
> >weird view . It's bizarre, are you sure anyone holds it. Cant think of
anyone in ASA or CIS
> >who does
>
> Then you don't understand the use of a / character. You yourself have
claimed to be an acommodationalist so I think you dissemble or are merely
raising red-herrings here.

> Yesterday flying back to Beijing, I watched a wonderful old movie, Second
Hand Lions with Michael Cane and Robert Duval, who played Uncle Hub. He had
a great quote I wrote down.

> "Just because something isn't true doesn't mean you can't believe it!" --
Uncle Hub

> Wonderful line. It would apply to leprechauns, flying saucers,
faeries, hallucinations, delusions of grandeur, YECism, accomodationalism,
geocentrism, allegoricalism, great green slugism, Mormonism, Buddhism and
metaphoricalism. The line illustrates both sides in this p-poor apologetical
situation we are in. And if we ourselves are willing to believe something