RE: AIG says it like it is

From: Tjalle T Vandergraaf <ttveiv@mts.net>
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 09:18:17 EST

Yes, the foundation of Christianity is Jesus Christ. The problem I see is
that YECs subscribe to the domino theory. If one part of Scripture is
questioned, where will it stop? If there's a conflict between their
interpretation of Special Revelation and their (our anybody's)
interpretation of General Revelation, [their interpretation] of Special
Revelation wins out.
I wonder how much of this it due to, what I would call, the legacy of Sunday
School. Old Testament stories are great way to teach pre-school and
elementary school children but then, as has been my experience, church
education switches to doctrine and there appears to be a gap. It's been
years since I made my official confession of faith, but I don't recall the
creation record ever having been a topic of discussion.
Ask yourself, what image of Noah's ark springs to mind? Does it have a bow?
Why? The Bible says nothing about a bow and, if you were to construct a
replica of Noah's ark, using the instructions given in Gen. 6, you would
probably make it in the shape of a box.
Has the time come to revisit church education to cover the transition
between Bible stories and doctrine, or has this already been done (in which
case I'm more out of touch than I thought I was).

Chuck Vandergraaf