RE: News clips of interest

From: Tjalle T Vandergraaf <ttveiv@mts.net>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 21:28:38 EST

I counted four news clips (and I'm not "full of new wine")

My comments, for what it's worth:

1. I would not call the "Big Bang" simply an "opinion." It is not a proven
fact, but "it makes scientific sense" and is the best "theory" we currently
have.

2. If the YECs "have won," it's only because they have elevated ID to a
higher level of importance. Political parties offer different solutions to
different problems and the solutions are not always a perfect match with an
individual's view. For example, Party A may be in favour of abortion and
opposed to the death penalty, while Party B may be opposed to abortion and
in favour of the death penalty. If I'm opposed to both, who do I vote for?
The YECs (and other groups) may win if they can tailor the views of a major
party to match theirs in what they see are the most important issues. To
me, there are more important fish to fry.

3. This is a tricky one. Not so much the fact that NASA employees should
"toe the company line," but because, in most cases, the interpretation of
the data may be subjective. If, for example, NASA obtains data that
suggests that the temperature of the Earth is increasing, this dos not mean
that this global warming is caused by SUVs or by Chinese burning lots of
coal. Thus, if I were a NASA employee and my data showed evidence of global
warming, I would have to be careful how I would convey that information and
in what context I would convey it. However, if the NASA boys and girls got
together and said, "there is no doubt that our data shows global warming but
let's keep this hush because otherwise the *** industry is going down the
tubes." I might have to resign so I could speak out or put my trust in
whistleblower legislation.

4. I agree. Church organizations should stick to their calling: to bring
the Good News. I'm not even sure the organized churches should say much on
ethical issues (and here I'm sticking out my neck). Individual evangelical
Christians can form organizations and speak out on their area of expertise,
be it global warming or ethical issues. Some years ago, the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Canada declared all their church buildings "nuclear free
zones" and I'm sure that nobody understood what it meant.

Chuck Vandergraaf