Re: AIG says it like it is

From: Craig Rusbult <craig@chem.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 19:34:45 EST

    Robert Schneider says,
>And if the Bible is not true, then you can't believe anything it says
>about Jesus Christ. That is the logical conclusion.

    Yes, but this is the opposite of what is INTENDED by YECs.
    For example, Ken Ham explains that "AiG's main thrust is NOT 'young
Earth' as such; our emphasis is on Biblical authority. Believing in a
relatively 'young Earth' (i.e., only a few thousands of years old, which we
accept) is a consequence of accepting the authority of the Word of God as
an infallible revelation from our omniscient Creator." (from "A Young
Earth - it's not the issue!", http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/1866.asp
)

    I think most YECs (especially followers, but also leaders) have good
intentions, but their results often don't match their goals.
    My web-page about YEC begins, "Advocates of young-earth views should be
admired for their sincere desire to believe what they think the Bible
teaches. But they should humbly consider the possibility that their
biblical interpretations are unjustifiably rigid, and are wrong."

    I read the "Kurt Wise..." thread Saturday, and it was excellent. But a
major problem, noted early in the thread and emphasized today by Glenn, is
what to "substitute" for YEC. The "cognitive dissonance" problems in
breaking away from YEC are a significant challenge, producing emotional and
spiritual tensions, as you can see in some bio-stories written by ex-YECs,
including Glenn, at
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/education/origins/experiences.htm

    Here is the page-intro:
    If a person who thinks "believing the Bible requires belief in a young
earth" examines the scientific evidence and concludes "the earth is old,"
another conclusion may be that "if the Bible is wrong about the earth's
age, maybe it's also wrong about the rest," and faith is weakened or
abandoned. This page describes the personal experiences of a few of the
many people who have struggled with this dilemma.

Craig