News clips of interest

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 18:21:06 EST

Two news clips of interest:

1. "[The Big Bang is] not proven fact; it is opinion. It is not NASA's
place, nor should it be to make a declaration such as this about the
existence of the universe that discounts intelligent design by a
creator."

--George Deutsch, a Bush political appointee in NASA's press office,
instructing a Web designer working for the agency to add the word
"theory" after every mention of the Big Bang (a scientific explanation
for the origins of the universe).

Burgy's comment: At first reading, I don't see why this is a "bad" idea.
Of course, it is religiously motivated. But it is, I think, factual.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

2. Texas Rep. Mark Strama faces three Republican challengers for his
District 50 seat, including Christian conservatives who support teaching
intelligent design.

About a year ago, I said the YECs "had won." Seems to me this is part of
what "winning" means. It is becoming a force in one political party.

Many of you have told me before that I'm wrong. I still hold the claim.

3. Scientists say Bush Administration political appointees are trying to
control the flow of scientific information from NASA, particularly when
that information counters administration policy on issues ranging from
global warming to explanations about the origins of the universe.

Burgy's comment: An organization HAS to be able to control what their
employees say and publish, for outsiders perceive them as "speaking for
the institution." As one who spoke publicly on many occasions for IBM, I
am particularly aware of this kind of thing. I recall once having my
remarks edited in advance to eliminate the word "software," for an IBM
executive was trying to hold back the use of that word. The fact that I
considered what he was attempting to do as pretty much useless did not
result in my using the dreaded "S" word in public. Of course, in private
. . . .

Tell me why I'm wrong. In this case, I may be, for it may be an ethics
issue.

4. A United States senator has warned against "far-left"
environmentalists he claimed are trying to dupe the National Association
of Evangelicals into adopting a policy statement on global warming.

Burgy's comment: Seems to me that the NAE has little business adopting
policies that are clearly outside their areas of expertise. I holler at
my PC(USA) headquarters on similar grounds from time to time. Ethical
issues are in a different category, of course. Religious organizations
SHOULD have a voice in them.

Burgy