Re: Kurt Wise on the creation crisis in Christian colleges

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sun Feb 05 2006 - 22:58:25 EST

There is a vital difference between a goof and incomplete knowledge. We
don't have a record of every genetic change from tetrapod to cetacean,
but we have enough fossils of stages to be confident of that descent. We
know enough about nuclei to know that they don't have variable rates, and
that fission, spallation and fusion leave clear evidences of the events.
Indeed, if one is consistent, denying radio-dating will also require
denying that there can be a fission or fusion explosion. But of course
this disregards the vital controlling principle, whatever does not agree
with my interpretation of scripture is false.

I am not sure that all your listed errors are true goofs. First, which
Thompson? They had limited experimental evidence but moved in the right
direction. Kelvin's computation of the life of the sun was made correctly
on the basis of the only source then known--gravitational compression. To
say he goofed because he did not anticipate radioactivity is like saying
that Copernicus goofed because he did not anticipate Newton's equations.
These were steps on the way. Phlogiston, however, seems to be a move in
the wrong direction.
Dave

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:40:05 -0600 "Tjalle T Vandergraaf" <ttveiv@mts.net>