Re: Kurt Wise on the creation crisis in Christian colleges

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sun Feb 05 2006 - 12:33:22 EST

This response apparently totally misinterprets the history of science.
Copernicus was not abandoned when Kepler refined the orbits and Newton
explained them. Newton wasn't lost when Einstein added a further
refinement. Fact is, Newton's equations are used in every space launch.
There are occasional goofs. I think of N-rays and cold fusion. But they
were quickly spotted. On the other hand, what has been rejected in the
absence of definite evidence, e.g., continental drift, has been accepted
when data became available. I expect that there will be breakthroughs in
the future, but they will build on what we know, not wipe it out.

Matters have not progressed as simply with biology because the
developments are more recent and more complex. However, the work in
sequencing, gene action, protein action, etc., all tie together to
indicate that creatures developed from an original living entity.* The
one thing remaining is the origin of life, the sole hope for an honest
expectation of divine intervention. Christians see providence in the
whole, but this is outside of scientific investigation. Of course, a
human being can imagine almost anything--War of the Worlds, Zeus's
thunderbolts, Minotaurs, Kali, etc. almost ad inf.
Dave

*Of course, one can always posit a Creator without much imagination,
which to me makes as much sense as creation five minutes ago. Neither can
be disproved.

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:34:13 -0600 "Tjalle T Vandergraaf" <ttveiv@mts.net>