Re: Kurt Wise on the creation crisis in Christian colleges

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 05 2006 - 12:14:44 EST

*...angels are spiritual beings *

And another thing to chew on -- what do we mean when we say angels are
"spiritual beings?" Doesn't that betray an unbibilical spirit-matter
dualism? Scripture tells us angels are created beings and gives them
physical charcteristics (e.g. in Isaiah 6:2, where the seraphs are pictured
with wings, faces and feet). Perhaps descriptions like those in Isaiah are
merely metaphorical, but nevertheless, these are real personal entities
created by God, and as Chuck noted, scripture also shows them interacting at
times with the "material" world. If angels are created beings, it seems to
me that they must be part of the universe God created, and if they are part
of the universe God created, that seems to raise interesting questions about
how much we really know about the universe.