Re: Kurt Wise on the creation crisis in Christian colleges

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 18:04:55 EST

--- "D. F. Siemens, Jr." <dfsiemensjr@juno.com> wrote:

> You're right that entrance into the kingdom requires forgiveness, not a
> list of propositions to which one adheres. However, a view that requires
> that God mislead honest observers of his works (e.g., apparent age, one
> among many), making the Heavnely Father the father of lies, is as
> perverse as possible. That it also closes the door for those who know
> something about creation and, because they cannot fit it to what "the
> scriptures teach inerrantly," reject salvation, will certainly bring
> judgment. The principle of Matthew 18:7 holds inexorably.
> Dave

How do creationists answer critiques like the above of the "appearance of age"
argument?
While I don't believe that God would deliberately deceive honest investigators,
I can think of one argument for appearance of age that might have some
credibility: That God is an artist. We don't claim that human artists are lying
when they use paint on canvas to represent a landscape, so why should we accuse
God of lying? I don't believe I have ever heard this argument from a
creationist. I am putting forward the above argument because I'd like to see
how the list refutes it, not because I accept it.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.