Hovind in Dover

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 15:36:17 EST

In doing some quick background internet checking, here is what I learned
about Michael Marcavage, the organizer of the group sponsoring Hovind's
appearance in Dover next month (for which I yet have no more details). I'm
sure Burgy will really love this information (NOT), and it all suggests that
there is no chance whatsoever of having a fair and honest "debate." Much
worse IMO than the people who sponsored Rimmer's visit to Philadelphia in
1930, when he debated eugenicist/naturalist/environmentalist Samuel
Christian Schmucker before 2500 people at the old Metropolitan Opera House
on North Broad Street.

Ted

*******

Born: 1979

Gender: Male
Religion: Born-Again Christian
Ethnicity: White
Occupation: Religion

Nationality: United States
Executive summary: Founder of Repent America

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina:
"We believe that God is in control of the weather. The day Bourbon Street
and the French Quarter was flooded was the day that 125,000 homosexuals were
going to be celebrating sin in the streets. We're calling it an act of
God."

It should be noted that the homosexual hotbed French Quarter, being on high
ground, was one of the least affected areas of New Orleans, buildings there
generally sustaining negligible damage. And also:
"Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed
a wicked city. From Girls Gone Wild to Southern Decadence, New Orleans was a
city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. From the
devastation may a city full of righteousness emerge."

Marcavage was the subject of a court order that required him to stay 100
feet away from any "homosexual event", a ban later determined by a higher
court to be unconstitutional. While attending Temple University, he was sent
to a the university hospital's psychiatric ward for an evaluation as a
result of his behavior regarding opposition to the play Corpus Christi.

Father: Anthony Marcavage
Mother: (Roman Catholic, d.)

    University: BA Broadcast Journalism, Temple University

    Repent America Founder (2002-)
    Conspiracy Philadelphia (10-Oct-2004), charge dismissed
    Inciting a Riot Philadelphia (10-Oct-2004), charge dismissed
    Born-Again Christian formerly Roman Catholic
    Risk Factors: Homophobia