Re: More for Dover

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 20:43:46 EST

--- Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu> wrote:

> If there is an ASA scientist with expertise in relevant disciplines who
> will accompany me, I'll contact the organizers and offer to appear vs
> Hovind.

I for one will pray for you, Ted. And I hope others will as well. My first
prayer is that you will find an ASA member who is willing and qual,ified.

The key in these situations is to win the audience as well as the
> argument.

Absolutely. If you can use a little humor, that would help too.

>Hovind ducks everything you throw at him, only to respond with so
> much crap that you have to dig your way out before you can even start to
> formulate a good answer. Thus, in his case, the best strategy is simply to
> wait for one or two of his worst arguments (which I won't spell out in case
> this post somehow gets to him, but I have in mind certain ones that he often
> uses) and then take lots of time to explain carefully to the audience what's
> wrong with them.

Will you have lots of time? Nontechnical audiences are easily bored or
distracted. Better be ready for zingers from Hovind. As I said above, a bit of
humor will help.

>Then show the audience that AIG even disowns this guys
> arguments and then directly attack his integrity.
>
> Nasty work, but badly needed IMO. Any takers?
I'm not qualified, nor easily available, but this certainly is needed.

> [...]
> science to judge who actually won. And the more noise you make during the
> "debate," the more likely you are to "win" it. Or so it seems, from having
> studied several of Rimmer's "contests." Noise includes lots of humor
> directed at evolution and those morons who believe that stuff.
>
> Ted

> Received e-mail follows:
>
> Burgy
>

> Date: February 2, 2006
> By: Michael Marcavage
> From: Repent America
>
> Repent America to Bring Creation Seminar to Dover Area High School
> (Pennsylvania); Evolutionists Lay Low
>
> Repent America (RA), a Philadelphia-based evangelistic organization, is
> bringing a creation seminar to the Dover Area High School next month,
> featuring internationally known creationist Dr. Kent Hovind.
>
> The Dover Area School District became known for its support of intelligent
> design by ensuring that students were informed that evolution is "not a
> fact." However, a federal judge ruled the practice unconstitutional because
> of the possibility that students might come to the conclusion that the
> intelligent designer is the God of the Bible. In addition, all of the
> intelligent design school board members were voted out this past election,
> adding to the disaster in Dover.
>
> "The school board has been taken over by evolutionists who refuse to
> continue the legal battle for truth, and who once again are teaching
> students the lie of evolution as fact," stated Repent America director
> Michael Marcavage. "We must not abandon the schoolchildren of America in
> indoctrination chambers, but fight for the truth to be presented to those
> trapped inside its walls. Repent America is coming to Dover Area High School
> to do just that," Marcavage continued.
>
> Dr. Kent Hovind, who is considered one of the foremost authorities on
> science and the Bible, will be the event's guest speaker. The former high
> school science teacher turned evangelist speaks over 700 times each year in
> public and private schools, universities and churches. He has debated
> evolutionists at many universities across the country and is dedicated to
> the proclamation of factual, scientific evidence supporting the Biblical
> record of creation and history of the world.
>
> "Kent Hovind's exciting, fact-filled presentations are extremely
> informative and highly educational, which will impact the lives of all those
> who attend," Marcavage stated. "Christians will be strengthened in their
> faith while the most devout evolutionists will sit up and take notice," he
> continued.
>
> "The event was initially scheduled to be conducted in a debate format, but
> every evolutionist we contacted so far has refused to participate,"
> Marcavage continued. "Evolutionists lay low when they actually have to
> defend their beliefs, but when the floor is only open to them they will do
> whatever they can to tell fables," he concluded.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.