Re: Sociology of Science

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 12:55:16 EST

Greg,
I fear you're confusing a personal commitment with a professional
responsibility. Every person decides on a discipline and a task based on
commitments. Some of these are obvious, but others are hidden, even
deeply hidden. These latter can cause unsuspected problems. The task of a
scholar is to present an accurate description and develop a responsible
theory. To the extent that their personal commitments interfere with
objectivity, they cannot meet their requirements properly. Overt
commitments are rather easy to counter. It's the hidden ones that are
most damaging. That these aspects of being human are part of the practice
of any study does not vitiate the ideal.

As to the lines between the studies, that a person has many commitments
does not erase them. Indeed, to the extent that one gets sloppy and
undiscriminating, problems with objectivity increase. I know, there's a
radical rejection of objectivity in some quarters. I contend that,
whatever the difficulties, it remains an ideal. I also recognize that
there are scammers and others who reject standards.

I will acknowledge an area of overlap, for theology has been defined as
the application of philosophical method to the data of scripture.
Dave

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 05:00:12 -0500 (EST) Gregory Arago