RE: ASA's "neutrality policy"

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 19:02:45 EST

Hi Randy, you wrote:

    What is the ASA position today, more than 40 years later? As
several
people pointed out, we do have YEC advocates in the ASA. I believe that

there are at least two ways in which the YEC belief can be consistent
with
our commitment statement:

    1) The well-known apparent age belief. The world looks old
scientifically but God created it that way. This is claimed not to be
deception because God told us when and how he did it. We may agree or
disagree with that view of God but it does not violate our statement of
faith and ASA considers this an honest area of disagreement.

Respectfully, I disagree. Let us assume that God would create the
entire universe and all that is in it to appear one way when it is
another. That is, it appears to be 13.7 billion years old whereas
according to YECs it is less than 10,000 years old. If that was done to
the extent necessary to cause every observation we make in the universe
and on the earth to be totally consistent, speed of light, radiometric
decay and so on and on, it would be the most colossal and perplexing
hoax ever played upon man by God. And it would give us good reason to
question not only the validity of any scientific findings because God
may be playing with us, but we also could have no confidence in any of
the elements of our faith.

A virgin birth? Fat Chance! A resurrection after three days dead?
Puh-leeze! How gullible would we be to believe any of that
lightly-documented stuff after such a spectacular display of
inexplicable deception? We would be put in a position where we could
not place any confidence in the Scriptures or in any of the elements of
our faith. True words demand true works!

We could place no trust in a God who would tell us to not bear false
witness after pulling off the most gigantic sleight-of-hand ever
perpetrated. When we swear to tell the truth and raise our right hand
in the air, upon what do we place our left hand? Why?

    2) The "science will come around" belief. Some say that the world
certainly appears old scientifically but that some day we will learn
more
information that will help us see that the world is indeed young. We
may or
may not agree but again it does not violate our commitment.

It does violate our commitment. If the age of the universe and earth is
in that much doubt in view of the incredible amount of corroborating
data that has been amassed, what is there that we could possibly have
any confidence in? If scientists from all areas - astronomy, geology,
anthropology, biology, etc - could be that far off in a simple matter
such as earth dating it would be tantamount to saying there is no
possible way to conclude anything from science at all. Is that
consistent with ASA policy? I don't think so.

I think it could only enhance the credibility of our organization if we
take a stand and place YEC arguments firmly outside the bounds of
credibility and ASA policy. Or perhaps we should leave real scientific
integrity to NCSE and AAAS.

    However, when a YEC position is taken that the scientific community
has
come to an erroneous conclusion about the age of the earth, whether
through
deliberate intent to contradict the Bible or through other errors, then
it
is tantamount to denying the integrity of science. We do not claim that

science is always right. Far from it. But charging the establishment
with
bias and/or incompetence carries with it a very high bar of impeccable
data,
very careful analysis, and reproducibility in several labs.

Has this not been done with radiometric dating? Are all the findings
of radiometric dating techniques inconclusive? How much of our biology
could we count on if all the world's creatures commenced on planet earth
6,000 years ago? Where is the evidence for a global flood necessary for
YECs to sequence the fossil record?

Does this make sense?

No.

Have I erred somewhere in this thinking?

Yes. In your heart you know what's right, but lack the stomach to fight
for it. Christ kicked the money changers out of the temple. That
should be our example.

Put it to a vote.

www.genesisproclaimed.org