Re: petition to amend ASA Constitutional Objectives?

From: Joe Carson <jpcarson@tds.net>
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 23:34:08 EST

  Jim,

I invited people to push back, hard, because putting a little "zing"
into it helps concentrate the mind. I'm a crappy messenger, but the
message, I suggest, is valid. It's perfectly okay if you do not like me.

Am I understanding you to say that you think ASA's objectives have
been reviewed at any time in recent past, in a collective and
intentional way, by Christian scientists, engineers, theologians and
others with a consensus achieved that they adequately reflect God's
will for an auxiliary professional society for Christian in science
and engineering? I have been associated with ASA for about 15 years
and am unaware of any such review in that time.

In contrast, the engineering professional societies to which I belong
(ANS, ASME, and NSPE) have all engaged in searching reviews of
themselves during that time, reflecting the changing landscape of the
engineering profession.

Having 5% of ASA members sign a petition proposing a change to the
ASA Constitutional Objectives means ASA members will vote on it, not
that 2/3 (of necessary 1/3 ASA membership that needs to vote) will
approve it. But would it stimulate prayer, study, and conversation
about how ASA can advance God's will (what other ultimate purpose can
a Christian organization have?) in light of "facts on ground," other
general revelation, special revelation, tradition, common sense,
etc? I think so

Are you saying that status quo should remain unexamined, because it
has been demonstrated to be adequate? What was the process for
verifying it adequate and if it is adequate, why does ASA so
regularly ask me for money?

I suggest that ASA's current objectives do not adequately reflect
God's will, not in 2005. I suggested ASA objectives that should
result in an objective process to ascertain, document, and advance
God's will via ASA. That process, if implemented, could lead us to
right back to where ASA now is, but at least then the status quo
would have been more rigorously examined. So I do not think I'm
trying to impose any particular outcome, I disagree with an assertion
that I am. It could well be that the effort would lead to a
conclusion that God's will is simply too inscrutable for ASA to have
any objectives that could reasonably be claimed to reflect his will,
so go back to the tried and true because they worked, as least for a
few (2000 members is, in my mind, only a "few") Christians in science
and engineering professions.

But I understand it to be your will that you oppose any effort to
intentionally and collectively ascertain God's will for ASA, because
by your will ASA is just fine. If only ASA would stop asking me so
many times for money contributions above the dues because somehow
(the letters never say anything like "in ways that are too
inscrutable to be described"!) God will is being advanced by ASA's
objectives. Perhaps ASA letters of solicitation should say, "please
give money to ASA because "Jim's will is being advanced via ASA objectives.""

Joe