ICR's Acts and Facts for Dec 2005

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 16:52:21 EST

2005 11 Acts and Facts

The long anticipated RATE conference took place on schedule. 2,300 naive
folks crowed into a sell out gathering at Shadow Mountain Community
Church in San Diego on Sunday, 11/5/2005. "Thousands, not Billions" is
the word.

The cover letter continues ICR's concession to those of us who are not
YECs -- we are simply "Christians who have not considered Christ as our
creator." The cover letter touts the "great victories wrought by our
Creator through the RATE initiative." The conference is billed as "First
RATE." (haha).

Humphreys spoke on helium diffusion in radioactive crystals which
indicate the earth's age to be about 6,000 years.

Snelling talked on radio halos, a second YEC evidence.

Baumgardner spoke about "large amounts of C-14 found in diamonds, a third
evidence.

Vardiman recapped the results as follows:

1. A large amount of radioactive decay has occurred.
2. Conventional radioisotope dates differ radically.
3. Nuclear processes were accelerated during certain periods of earth's
history.
4. The evidences above are strong evidence for a young earth.

Therefore:

1. Creation and the Flood are genuine historic events.
2. The Bible is scientifically reliable.

Note from JWB -- I'm just reporting Acts and Facts. I'm not making this
up!

Future RATE conferences are planned in 2006 -- Fort Lauderdale, Houston
and Philadelphia plans are in place.

The analogy of David (the YECs) and Goliath is used in John Morris's
column. "God's mighty hand of blessing" is seen. He admits that Goliath
still lives, but is "severely wounded." His article concludes with this
warning: "Time is running out on the theory of evolution."

Churches mentioned as ICR supporters include Bayside Community and Grace
Community, both in Tampa, and Westside Baptist in Hutchinson, Kansas.
Local sane people may want to check out these places.

Frank Sherwin has a short article. Apparently if any scientist ever dares
admit there are still unanswered questions, he is ridiculed. AT least
that's what appears to be Sherwin's strategy.

John Morris concludes with an article claiming that in the early earth
all the months were exactly 30 days long. The Flood changed all that, he
says.

Larry vardiman has an article on hurricanes. Using regression analysis,
he shows a trend in these over the period 1840 to 2005. My skeptical
self asked if he preselected the data (all canes exceeding 39 MPH) to fit
his desired results. Maybe not. But the analysis is that of a 1st year
undergraduate student, at best. At my college, Carnegie Tech, I would
guess it would get a C- as a first semester physics project. You may want
to check it out on the ICR web site and see if you agree.

jb

For those interested, I have added a number of pieces to my web site. The
most recent changes can be seen at:

www.burgy.50megs.com/recent.htm

They are:

Repeal the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics! (humor)
Daffynitions (humor)
Bob and Nancy (humor)
Review of THE EVOLUTION-CREATION STRUGGLE, by Michael Ruse
Review of A SHORT HISTORY OF PROGRESS, by Ronald Wright
Review of THE ANCESTOR'S TALE, by Richard Dawkins
Review of THEODORE REX, by Edmund Morris.
Review of MY LIFE, by Bill Clinton.
Review of THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY, by Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy
Review of FOUNDING FATHER, by Richard Brookhiser
Brief review of THE LONGEST WINTER, by Alex Kershaw
Brief review of NEGRO PRESIDENT, by Garry Wills
Brief review of FOUNDING BROTHERS, by Joseph Ellis