Re: measuring years through the Antarctica icesheets

From: Glenn Morton <glenn_morton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 16:33:56 EST

Sigh, Wikipedia does not work here. Thus I never actually got to see the ice core photo. I will try at work

Joel Moore <redsoxfan1977@gmail.com> wrote: Glenn,

The ice core entry on wikipedia that Pim posted has some references.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_core

I believe for the lower (and older) part of the cores, which is the
most deformed and compacted, ice flow modeling is used to date cores.
See for example Dansgaard et al. (1993) Evidence for general
instability of past climate from a 250 kyr-old ice-core record. Nature
364: 218-220.

-Joel

On 11/30/05, glennmorton@entouch.net wrote:

> David CAmpbell wrote:
>
> ***
>
> There are also several seasonal chemical changes that can be traced in an
> ice core. For example, the ratio of 18O to 16O varies with the season. There
> are also some historical events that you can look for, such as major
> volcanic eruptions or the high level of radionucleotides associated with
> widespread atmospheric nuclear tests.
>
> ***
>
> Do you have references? I could sure use that with the YECs

glenn
http://home.entouch.net/dmd/dmd.htm