Re: petition to amend ASA Constitutional Objectives?

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 13:24:56 EST

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:31:29 -0500 Joe Carson <jpcarson@tds.net> writes:

> [I propose amending the ASA Constitution with]
> The Objectives of ASA is to serve as an organizational vehicle by
> which Christian members of science and engineering professions can:
>
> a) collectively and intentionally, with theologians and others,
> ascertain God's will for science and engineering professions and
> their Christian members;
>
> b) document and disseminate the results of such efforts; and
>
> c) equip and encourage its members to intentionally, individually
> and
> collectively, influence the science and engineering professions to
> advance God's will in and through them.

This suggestion is certainly good Christian talk. However, I am doubtful
of any group which sets out to determine the will of God for others. Yes,
it happened at Antioch, when there were active prophets in the absence of
the canonical scriptures. Later there was sharp dissension between Paul
and Barnabas. But there is no evidence that someone stepped in with the
message, "God's will for you is ..." I can just imagine what a group
would have told Abram about his call to leave home. The only one who went
with him was Lot, who was not called to leave and became a king-sized
pain.

As for me, what I thought was God's will for my life has little
resemblance to the path I have taken. Some of my dear friends are
concerned that I have not obeyed God. I certainly stand in strong
opposition to the vast majority of Christians in the States. Right or
wrong, I am responsible to God for the light I have, and will answer to
him. I can't answer for anyone else or determine God's will for them.
Dave