[pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com: Re: ..... testing .... please ignore

From: Joel Cannon <jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu>
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 20:29:29 EST

Testing to see if I can post. My posts have disappeared.

----- Forwarded message from Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com> -----

> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:58:28 -0800
> From: Pim van Meurs <pimvanmeurs@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: The scientific vacuity of Intelligent Design
>
> Todd Pedlar wrote:
>
> >Pim van Meurs wrote:

> >>Again you are conflating various arguments. BB succeeded because it
> >>presented another testable, positive explanation of the data. ID does
> >>nothing of the kind, it merely relies on negative evidence to
> >>conclcude that our ignorance is evidence of something called
> >>'design'. It was exactly the empirical evidence which led the BB to
> >>become an accepted theory.
> >>So again, BB was not scientifically vacuous as it was a real
> >>hypothesis, not the null hypothesis.
> >

> >Not sure that I want to get into this at this point, but here goes.
> >I'm not a proponent of intelligent design, nor an opponent, although
> >I am sympathetic to the perspective those in the ID camp have on the
> >viability of the science done. As has been noted, the difference lies
> >not so much in what ID will do (ID folks are found among geneticists,
> >physicists and organic & biochemists), as in what ultimately grounds
> >them with respect to what science can claim. What I do want to see is
> >fair treatment of those who are in the ID camp, which I'm not sure
> >always happens.
> >A question here to start, Pim.
> >
> >In what sense is the BB testable? I assume what you mean is that BB
> >puts forth a picture that should give rise to certain effects - and
> >that those are testable in that those effects can be searched for in
> >the data. It's hard to go beyond this, however, and say that BB is
> >'proven' - only that it is the most consistent theory that explains
> >the data we see today, and should win the day in any discussion about
> >cosmology because of that empirical strength.
>

> We agree, science never deals in 'proven' anyway other than
> 'dis'-proven. You are right the BB is the most consistent theory and
> actually made predictions that were later found to be true.
>
> >As for ID and the claims that all it is is the "null hypothesis".
> >It's not as though science has never done what ID does before - that
> >is, taken a look at the prevailing theory that attempts to explain the
> >data observed, and claim that the theory fails on that count. Isn't
> >it fairer to claim that ID is simply saying to macroevolutionists
> >that the evidence is lacking for the claims made about origins? Isn't
> >that the crux of the matter? ID folks generally seem to me to be
> >happy to accept adaptation/microevolution and the claims made and
> >applications of genetics and biochemistry. What is rejected is the
> >tying together of evolutionary pathways back to the dawn of time.
>

> If ID were willing to admit that it is merely a null hypothesis then I
> would have no problem with that. But ID is meant to replace
> methodological naturalism or at least extend it.
>
> > Perhaps in part what they see is a lack of predictive power for THAT
> [...]

----- End forwarded message -----

Joel W. Cannon                   |   (724)223-6146
Physics Department               |   jcannon@washjeff.edu
Washington and Jefferson College |
Washington, PA 15301             |