Re: The scientific vacuity of Intelligent Design

From: Cornelius Hunter <ghunter2099@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 03:10:17 EST

Fortunately people like Isaac Newton and John Ray didn't agree with you.
Rationalism failed in theology and in teh experimental sciences, but it has
continued in the historical sciences. Behe injected the Big Bang into the
testimony for good reason. The lawyer didn't get it (or didn't want to get
it), but the BB is an example where empiricism has broken through in the
historical sciences, despite stiff resistance. It violated the axioms held
by many cosmologists, but the evidence was too strong. I guess the lawyer
should have just said it is vacuous. You wrote:

"I am also not really certain about your 'argument'. Science is all about
empiricism."

Sure, empirical methods are used *within* the naturalism paradigm in the
historical sciences. Rationalism comes into the picture in determining the
paradigm. ID is rejected not because of the empirical evidence (though of
course it may fail on the evidence). You criticize IDs for not supplying
ultimate answers. You want ID to hypothesize about the how's, where's and
why's of how the species arose (as evolution does). But ID does not provide
these -- it is more focused on the experimental sciences. It is a different
way of doing science (eg, not constrained to naturalistic descriptions of
origin), not a new rationalistic scheme.