Re: impassibility

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 21:34:53 EST

Dave -

The full statement that I made, which you say you don't hold, was, "you have the strange result that the divine person suffers but the divine nature of which that person is one hypostasis doesn't." Do I understand you to be saying below that the the divine nature suffers eternally - i.e., timelessly? If so, this seems like a strange claim. One common objection to the idea of a genuine suffering of God is that it would require God to be mutable. & while with your view it's reasonable to say that the eternal God y takes into account things that happen in the world (e.g., prayer) without himself changing, to say that God in any sense suffers seems to have no connection with the sense of the word that we use when we say, e.g., "Jesus suffered."

& if the divine nature can suffer in some way in your view, why the objection to the idea that the Father suffers?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

In any case, you seem to hold that the only choices are that God is utterly timeless or that God is subject to the temporality of creration. But this is not true. There are certainly ways of speaking about an eternity which is temporal & which includes but transcends the world's time, as a number of modern theologians have argued. Just as one crude analogy from my own physics background, one can imagine a world with two temporal dimensions (e.g., with a line element having the signature + + + - -
instead of the + + + - of Minkowski space-time.) Saying that there is divine temporality then need not have the terrible consequences you suggest of essentially making God into a creature.

The critical question again, however, is christological. Is the Incarnation a merely "external work of the Trinity," like all the ordinary things God does in the world, or is it something "internal," having to do with God's own life? If the latter then the earthly history of Jesus of Nazareth, from ~4 B.C. to ~30 A.D., is part of God's experience as history. It is not simply as something God is eternally aware of on the "outside." & this only makes sense if God has a history of which that earthly history is part.

(Note to Janice: Please note my quote marks around "internal" & "external" above. Of course these are spatial metaphors but they are well established in the theological tradition, as in the phrase operara trinitatis ad extra indivisa sunt.)

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/