Re: Flat Earth?

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 23:40:32 EST

Jeff Russell is a personal friend, and while I've not read the book in question, I can attest to his excellence as a scholar, and I would tend to accept his thesis. Christian readers may be interested also in his four volumes of the history of the figure of Satan in Christian thought, and his book "A History of Heaven."

Speaking as a sometime medievalist myself, I can tell you that by the 13th century, the Ptolemaic model of the heavens and a spherical earth was widely accepted by all those educated in the schools and universities. The Franciscan scientist Roger Bacon commented on it. Medieval scholars also read Muslim astonomers who had embraced the Ptolemic model. Dante mentions the curvature of the horizon visible on the sea. The main reason Columbus decided to sail west is that he had read Nicole Oresme's "The Book of the Heavens and the Earth." There he found a figure for the circumference of the earth about four thousand miles shorter than the actual circumference, which persuaded him that he could reach India just as quickly by sailing west. Oresme got his figure from the treatise on Astronomy written by the 9th century Muslim astronomer Al-Farabi, which had been translated into Latin around the 12th cent. (if my memory is correct). Al-Farabi was also the source of much of Dante's knowledge of the heavens.

Bob Schneider